Provides coverage to persons who travel outside of Puerto Rico with worldwide coverage.
Or if you prefer to call us at
Before traveling, it is important to take out travel insurance that offers the necessary protection to those travelers who wish to stay outside of Puerto Rico. To do this, MAPFRE offers you its travel insurance that will protect you against minor unforeseen events or even medical emergencies.
Travel Insurance Coverages
The policyholder will have the option to select limits and coverages from among the following coverage plans: Platinum, Gold, Plus.
|Transport or Medical Emergency transportation||No limit||$ 75,000||$ 50,000|
|Accident Medical Assistance||$ 50,000||$ 30,000||$ 15,000|
|Medical Illness assistance||$ 50,000||$ 30,000||$ 15,000|
|Dental Odontology assistance||$ 300||$ 150||$ 100|
|Therapy||$ 300||$ 150||$ 100|
|Prescription drugs||$ 1,000||$ 500||$ 250|
|Stay - Travel companion||$ 750||$ 500||$ 375|
|Transfer of designated individual||No limit||$ 1,000||$ 500|
|Stay in Hotel Designated individual||$ 750||$ 500||$ 375|
|Transportation of Deceased insured||$ 10,000||$ 8,000||$ 6,000|
|Travel cancellation (*check the limit for additional premium)||$ 1,500||$ 750||$ 500|
|Limit for Travel interruption (*check the limit for additional premium)||$ 1,500||$ 750||$ 500|
Those eligible for this coverage are persons who travel outside of Puerto Rico:
- Who are not older than eighty-four (84) years of age at the time they make the trip.
- They are not registered in a formal educational institution outside of Puerto Rico territory.
For more information, you may access the brochure or call MAPFRE Contact Center directly at 787-250 5214 or 1-888-835-3634 (island).
FAQ – Travel Insurance
What does travel insurance cover?
The travel insurance protects the policyholder for incidents that occur during a trip. These incidents range from trip cancellation, loss of luggage, to emergency medical assistance and transport.
What period is covered by travel insurance?
The travel insurance shall be valid on the day the policyholder boards the transport on which he/she is travelling and ends with the expiry of the contracted trip.
Benefits and Advantages of Travel Insurance
The property and contingency MAPFRE insurances offer the policyholders a number of benefits and advantages that together with the best coverages, provide peace of mind to them and their families.
- This insurance protects you when you are travelling and covers medical emergency assistance and medical transport or transfer if needed.
- With this insurance you can choose between 3 progressive levels of coverage with increasing compensations: Plus Plan, Gold Plan and Platinum Plan.
- All policyholders have access to the most modern telephone office in Puerto Rico, MAPFRE Contact Center, which deals with all the issues related with MAPFRE’s insurances. It is a specialized service that meets the needs of our customers and claimants.
Your Travel Insurance offers you the following benefits:
Benefits of the transfer coverage
Covers the travel expenses of the insured in case of emergency, by the mean of transportation chosen by the attending physician.
Benefits of the Medical Assistance coverage
Hospital expenses, medical expenses and surgery are covered in case of emergency caused by accident or illness.
Benefits of the Dental and Odontological Assistance coverage
We will cover the costs of dental care or dental emergency to the maximum limit set.
Benefits of the travel cancellation coverage
Reasonable expenses incurred by the cancellation of the trip due to death, accident or illness are indemnified. The policyholder has up to seventy-five days before the travel date to cancel, according to the contracted conditions in this policy.
Benefits of the luggage cover
The insured will receive a compensation for the loss of the luggage, according to the selected plan. If the luggage is recovered, the previously mentioned amount will be refunded to the Company.
Requirements and Restrictions
This insurance has certain requirements and exclusions that the policyholders must consider in order to know better their rights and obligations when hiring it.
- This policy is aimed at persons whose age does not exceed 85 years at the time of the trip.
The insurance has the following exclusions:
- Persons who are enrolled in an institution of academic education outside of Puerto Rico cannot benefit from the advantages of this policy.
- We will not provide coverage for events intentionally caused by the policyholder.
- Events derived from floods, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, atypical cyclonic storms, atmospheric depressions, hurricanes, tidal waves, storms or falling meteors are excluded.
- We will not provide coverage for damages caused by riot or tumult.
- We will not provide coverage for damages caused by nuclear radiation.
- Events caused by the insured involvement in bets, organized sporting events or speed tests with vehicles are excluded.
- We will not cover expenses for medical care provided inside Puerto Rico.
Recommendations for use
MAPFRE recommends the policyholders, in order to receive benefits of all the guarantees of the policy, to consider some relevant aspects before and after contracting it:
- Read carefully the clauses and the special provisions of each coverage.
Once contracted the Travel policy:
- The policy takes effect from the start date of the travel until the return to Puerto Rico.
- It is useful to know the clauses, limits and policy requirements to act accurately in case of accident or mishap.
- Documents related to the policy need to be located in a suitable place.
- In case of an accident, you must contact us without delay.
- We will refund the amount of the calls made by the policyholder to notify an accident, in case the insured could not make collect calls.
- In case of an accident, the insured is obliged to use the means at its disposal to mitigate the consequences of it.
- The policyholder must always act in good faith in case of loss or any situation that could give rise to a claim.
- The policyholder must not negotiate claims by third parties related to an incident, except with our express consent.
Property and Contingency Services for my Personal Insurance
Check the services related to Property and Contingency insurance offered by MAPFRE PUERTO RICO.
Find our office network, general agencies or authorized representatives.